Green roofs are becoming more popular in the UK, with after a slow uptake. London and Sheffield becoming two of the most popular cities to promote green roof systems. Germany being the first country to start developing green roof systems and market them on a large scale.
So why are Countries encourging the installation of Green Roof Systems?
7 Reasons to choose a green roof rather than a tradtitional type:
- Green roofs can absorb upto 80% of rainwater. Reducing the risk of overflowing gutters and drains and overall large scale flooding.
- Lower maintenance than the tradtitional roof. Not easily damaged by exposure to the elements (sun, wind, rain) as a tradtitional roof would be over time. A green roof is expected to last 2-3 times longer.
- Reduces energy costs – natural insulation. A building can be 6-8 degrees celcius cooler inside in the summer but winter savings are also a great benefit. Houses with green roof systems on average have lower heating bills by 6%.
- Reduce noise pollution. Green roofs act as a great sound barrier, decreasing noise by upto 8 decibels.
- Support the environment – Reduces the Heat Island Effect and decrease air pollution. Green roofs soak up heat from the sun unlike traditional roofing materials which reflect the heat back into the atmosphere.
- Green roofs provide a habitat for a range of wildlife, including bees and butterflies. As more natural habitats are developed into built up, concrete areas, a green roof is a small way to give back. Providing wildlife with a new home and food.
- Often seen as the downside to choosing a green roof system over a tradtitional one is the initial cost. A green roof is often 2-3 times more expensive than tradtitional materials. However the long term benefits conteract this initital concern.
If you have any questions regarding our green roof system please contact our expert team on 01691 659618